Case Study >>> Mortars, Mixtures and Staining
TEC Grout Meets Requirements at The Fashion Mall at Keystone
Indianapolis’ The Fashion Mall at Keystone recently underwent a 150,000-square-foot expansion and renovation. TEC’s Fast Set Ultimate Large Tile Mortar and TEC Power Grout Ultimate Performance Grout were used to install floor tiles rapidly and effectively.
The Fashion Mall at Keystone is an upscale shopping center with anchor stores Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue, owned by Indianapolis-based Simon Property Group. In February 2012, the decision was made to renovate and expand the facility to modernize its design, accommodate new store space and build a new food court.
As with most retail facilities, the mall needed to remain open for regular business hours during the construction phase. But this project’s time table was especially short. Installers needed to have tile laid, mortar set and grout applied in just 10 hours. To achieve this, the team turned to TEC Fast Set Ultimate Large Tile Mortar and Power Grout Ultimate Performance Grout for more than 100,000 square feet of tile flooring.
“Fast-setting products were necessary for this project because it is a public space,” says John Santarossa, president of Santarossa Mosaic & Tile Co. Inc., who served as tile contractor and installer. “We laid tile at night, while the mall was closed and needed to complete our work for the mall to reopen the next business day. TEC Fast Set Ultimate Large Tile Mortar and Power Grout Ultimate Performance Grout allowed us to do just that.”
Tile was installed in the mall concourses, food court and restrooms. The concourses feature 12- X 24-inch border tile and 24- X 24-inch fill tile installed over existing flooring material. Large-scale patterns use three colors of tile that are different from the field tile. This contrast adds visual interest to the corridors and makes them feel less confined. The food court features six tile colors and three tile sizes that give the space a contemporary look. A circular band of terrazzo between the food court and corridor separate the spaces, giving each its own feel.
Power Grout Ultimate Performance Grout was used with the Fast Set Ultimate Large Tile Mortar to create a cohesive same-day installation system. The mortar was chosen for its fast-curing formula, specifically for large format tile. In addition, it provides non-sag and non-slump characteristics, contains recycled materials and exceeds ANSI A118.4 and A118.11 shear bond specifications. The grout was chosen for its high stain resistance, fast setting capabilities, color consistency, efflorescence resistance, crack and shrink resistance, and mold and mildew resistance. It also was chosen because it exceeds ANSI A118.7 specifications.
“We were confident in recommending the TEC brand of products for The Fashion Mall at Keystone Crossing,” says Tracey Kessens, architectural specifications manager with Louisville Tile, product distributor. “Their products are a great fit for this type of application, and we know we can always count on great service and support.”
The Fashion Mall at Keystone renovation and addition began in February 2012 and was completed in November 2012. The project team included architect Ratio Architects, installer Santarossa Mosaic & Tile Co. Inc., and distributor Louisville Tile.
The TEC brand is offered by Aurora, Ill.-based H.B. Fuller Construction Products Inc., a provider of construction materials and solutions to the commercial, industrial and residential construction industries. For more information, visit www.hbfuller-cp.com.
|ChemMasters Inc. has launched a new treatment to enhance and enrich the color of architectural and interlocking paving blocks. Paver Enhancer is a penetrating, water-based treatment that deepens and enhances the color of porous, dry cast pavers. It was designed for maximum cosmetic enhancement, but has the added benefit of improving stain resistance.Paver Enhancer penetrates the surface of pavers, creating a matte finish. Its breathable formulation minimizes the formation of efflorescence, while creating a uniform “finished” look. It is low in Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) and compliant in the United States and Canada.
The treatment can be used three ways:
1) By itself, for deep, rich color development and a matte finish
For more information, visit www.chemmasters.net.
- 37MORTARS, MIXTURES AND STAINING By Don Foster When repairing or adding to a masonry structure, we usually want the new area, wall, extension or wing to look just like the pre-existing masonry. Matching colors and textures is one way to make any set of structures appear to “belong together.” A house and a garage, a…
- 37April 2014 >>> Case Study: Rehabs and Restorations Reviving Detroit’s Cobo Convention Center Described as a symbol of Detroit’s living spirit, Cobo Center is in the midst of a $279 million renovation. The renovation includes a soaring new atrium that opens onto the city’s iconic riverfront. The renovation at Cobo aims to catalyze the revitalization…
- 35September 2008 Colorings By Rich Solomon Choosing a mortar color to compliment the wide range of colors found in clay brick, colored block and stone will enhance the appeal of a masonry structure. Brick, colored block and stone contain thousands of hues that change throughout the day as the reflection of light is altered by…
- 30March 2011 Mixers, Pumps and Delivery Systems Core Filling With a Masonry Grout Pump Batching onsite with a masonry grout pump By Todd Ferguson Mason contractors can accomplish structural reinforcement core filling requirements by pumping grout or mortar with a masonry grout pump. Using a masonry grout pump can be beneficial to the mason contractor…