Green Tool and Equipment Cleaner
A new, environmentally safe cleaner, SPEC MIX Mortar and Concrete Dissolver, removes mortar or cement from masonry tools and equipment, says Brian Carney, VP and general manager for SPEC MIX Inc. in Mendota Heights, Minn. The cleaner molecularly breaks down the ionic bond in Portland cement, which releases the mortar or cement from the surface to which it’s adhered.
“You can use it to clean your forklift, mortar mixers, tubs or tools,” Carney says. “Mortar and Concrete Dissolver is 100 percent caustic acid free, and it’s bio-degradable.”
Masonry contractors spray the cleaner onto their tools or equipment with a garden sprayer, and then wash it off with water. The cleaner is available in five-gallon containers or 65-gallon drums.
“You spray the surface, let it go to work, and then 15 minutes later, power wash it off. And, it won’t hurt painted surfaces or decals on your equipment,” Carney says. “If you’re going to invest in quality tools, the benefit of this product is that it protects your investment. You put your brand or company name on your tools and equipment, and Mortar and Concrete Dissolver makes sure it stays visible. This protects your branding. You don’t see Coke trucks driving around with dirt all over them.”
- 54June 2014 Mortars, Mixtures and Staining Surface Mottling of Mortar Joints Understanding the science of why surface mottling of mortar joints happens and solutions to avoid or mitigate the occurrence By Nick Blohowiak Surface Mottling of Mortar Joints Surface Mottling of Mortar Joints While masonry mortar makes up only a small percentage of the total…
- 41SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 Nearly 4,000 spectators gathered to watch the 2015 SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 World Championship event, held during MASONRY MADNESS Day at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry tradeshow in February. The competition pits some of the world’s best masons in one arena for a 60-minute battle that determines the “World’s Best…
- 40September 2008 Tools Tuckpointing and Repointing Tools Specialized tools for removing and replacing mortar By Brett Martin Masonry contractors have many options when it comes to tuckpointing and repointing tools. Whether the preference is an electric grinder or a hammer and chisel to remove mortar, or a drill attachment or a tuckpointing trowel for applying…
- 40September 2008 Colorings By Rich Solomon Choosing a mortar color to compliment the wide range of colors found in clay brick, colored block and stone will enhance the appeal of a masonry structure. Brick, colored block and stone contain thousands of hues that change throughout the day as the reflection of light is altered by…
- 38October 2008 Mortars Mortar has been used for thousands of years. Over the centuries, the formulas have changed, and we aren't done yet as the proliferation of new masonry products provides new challenges. By Tom Inglesby As recently as 15 years ago, masons just wanted to make mortar the way they did for the last…