Executing Projects Profitably
|Mobile Connect project view|
No one ever said managing a construction project was easy. A successful mason contractor must be able to efficiently and profitably manage everything from materials and labor to equipment, budgets and schedules. Traditionally, contractors have managed their projects by keeping all pertinent job-related information in a project binder. Although this has been a standard practice for decades, it has its faults.
Accessibility is a major challenge. With project binders in the possession of one person, access to project-related details can be extremely difficult for the rest of the team. Another issue is out-of-date, non-detailed data. These problems, among many others, make it extremely difficult for contractors to make informed decisions and manage projects and businesses effectively.
Getting rid of the binders
In today’s competitive market, mason contractors need real-time data at their fingertips. Many are turning to complete construction management software to gain critical access to accurate and current information, whether they are in the office or in the field.
With an all-in-one solution that handles the entire project lifecycle, from takeoff and estimating through job cost accounting and project management, mason contractors are able to streamline processes, achieving operational efficiencies and cost reductions.
Tasks such as managing sheet revisions, identifying and managing change orders, verifying details (i.e. footings), knowing delivery schedules, providing OSHA with requested compliance paperwork, and billing projects as they progress can be simplified with an end-to-end solution.
Project managers, and the rest of the team, can collect and view all project-related information, such as project documents, budgets, contacts, employees, equipment, change order requests, purchase orders, open payables and receivables, and attachments.
Furthermore, project managers can access conveniently all of their important documents and data without having to lug around bulky, hard copy job folders at job sites. Rather, they can use a mobile device, the iPad, to access project details on the road.
Optimizing project execution
Successfully managing a construction project is about managing hundreds of small details. Some details have immediate and meaningful cost impacts and could dramatically hinder the success of a project, which would reduce profit margin on a project or, worse, cost the contractor.
By using a complete construction management software solution, mason contractors are able to achieve end-to-end control, increase visibility, optimize project execution and maximize profitability.
- 47April 2013 Software Leaps and Bounds By Jennifer Morrell It’s amazing: Project management and estimations software have never been more advanced. And whether you need it on your laptop, iPad or smartphone, it’s available. As software platforms designed to make contractors’ lives easier continue to improve and expand, masonry industry…
- 40June 2014 Software and Technology Streamlining the Masonry Industry By Jennifer Morrell It’s no secret: Software and technology play an important role in how mason contractors not only run their companies, but perform on the jobsite. According to a recent report from Sage Construction and Real Estate, “Information Technology Trends…
- 39Put-in-Place Construction to Reach $1.04 Trillion in 2015 FMI, an organization offering management consulting, investment banking and people development services to the engineering and construction industry, released its 2015 U.S. Markets Construction Overview. FMI researchers predict 2014 will end with about 7 percent growth in construction put in place. This rate of…
- 38February 2014 Software BIM-M: A Work in Progress IU Global and International Studies Building Graphics courtesy of Tradesmen Software Inc. By David Biggs, P.E., S.E. It has been two years since the idea of Building Information Modeling – Masonry (BIM-M) was conceived, and what it means is still evolving. For…
- 36March 2010 Software One-Stop Shopping Maxwell Systems helps contractors cut costs and improve control with all-in-one business management software. By Jim Flynn As all mason contractors know, the foundation of any project must be well constructed. If there are air pockets or incorrect mixtures, mason contractors can be exposed to…