Brick Industry Association 2009
Brick in Architecture Awards
The Brick Industry Association (BIA) announced the recipients of its 2009 Brick in Architecture Awards, which honor innovative use of clay brick in eight categories: commercial, educational, health care facilities, houses of worship, multi-family residential, municipal/government, paving and landscape architecture, and single-family residential applications. All competition participants will have their work featured in BIA’s Brick Gallery at www.gobrick.com. Following are the 2009 Brick In Architecture Awards Best-In-Class winners.
Architect: Cooper Carry, Inc.
Builder: Balfour Beatty Construction
Manufacturer: Taylor Clay Products, Inc.
Distributor: Potomac Valley Brick & Supply Co.
Mason Contractor: United Masonry Inc.
Photographer: Robert Miller, © Robert Miller
South Hadley, Mass.
Architect: The S/L/A/M Collaborative
Builder: Barr & Barr
Manufacturer: Glen-Gery Corp.
Distributor: Spaulding Brick Co., Inc.
Mason Contractor: Chabot & Burnett Construction Co., Inc.
Photographer: Robert Benson Photography, © Robert Benson Photography
Houses of Worship
Architect: Maurice Jennings Architect
Landscape Architect: CRJA
Builder: Brasfield & Gorrie
Manufacturer: Triangle Brick Co.
Distributor: North Georgia Brick Co., Inc.
Mason Contractor: B&M Masonry
Photographer: Maurice Jennings Architect, © Maurice Jennings
Health Care Facilities
Architect: Leo A. Daly
Manufacturer: The Belden Brick Co.
Distributor: Potomac Valley Brick and Supply Co.
Mason Contractor: Manganaro Mid-Atlantic
Photographer: Daniel Cunningham, © Daniel Cunningham
Architect: Matheny Goldmon Architects, AIA, LLC
Manufacturer: Jenkins Brick & Tile Co.
Mason Contractor: Southern Masonry Construction, LLC
Photographer: Matheny Goldmon Architects, AIA, LLC
Paving & Landscape Architecture
San Antonio, Texas
Architect: Lake/Flato Architects
Landscape Architect: Rialto Studio, Inc.
Manufacturer: Pine Hall Brick Co., Inc.
Distributor: Acme Brick Co.
Mason Contractors: Boothe Brothers Paving Co.; Texas Hardscapes
Photographer: Bobby Eichholz, © Rialto Studio
Bryn Mawr, Pa.
Architect: John Milner Architects, Inc.
Landscape Architect: Jonathan Alderson Landscape Architects, Inc.
Builder: E.B. Mahoney Builders
Manufacturers: Acme Brick Co.; Hanson Brick
Distributor: Diener Brick Co.
Mason Contractor: Joseph Manero & Sons, Inc.
Photographer: Don Pearse, © Don Pearse Photographers, Inc.
Architect: SGA Architects
Builder: Magellan Construction Co.
Manufacturer: Glen-Gery Corp.
Distributor: Capital Brick, Inc.
Mason Contractor: Calvert Masonry
Photographer: Donna H Chiarelli, © Glen-Gery Brick
- 73August 2014 BIA Awards 2014 Brick in Architecture Awards Honor Outstanding Design The Brick Industry Association (BIA) has honored the best in brick design across North America. Selected by an independent panel of judges, the 2014 Brick in Architecture Awards spiked this year with more than 150 entries. Established in 1989, the 40 winners in…
- 44April 2009 Brick Thin Brick Is Thin Brick Your Friend or Foe? As a marketer of thin brick and thin brick wall systems for the last 20 years, I see first-hand how people many view thin brick as an asset to the masonry industry, and how many others see it as material that is “taking…
- 42November 2014 MCAA TEAM Awards MCAA TEAM Awards Go to 13 Winners at Midyear Meeting The Tribute to Exemplary Achievements in Masonry (TEAM) Awards recognize quality masonry projects resulting from strong creative vision and skilled execution. Members of the construction team also are recognized for accomplishments in masonry design and construction. The TEAM Awards ceremony…
- 39The Brick Industry Association (BIA) invites entries for its 2015 Brick in Architecture Awards starting on February 16, and due by April 30. BIA's annual design competition honors outstanding, innovative and sustainable architecture that incorporates clay brick products as the predominant exterior building or paving material. Competition rules and entries will be conducted online at www.gobrick.com/architectureawards, and…
- 37April 2009 Brick Hollow Brick: 101 How well do you understand hollow brick? Traditionally, the size and number of holes in a brick unit have varied, based on manufacturer capabilities, the type of clay being extruded, the type of firing process, and the intended use of the product. These various hole patterns were categorized into…