Is Your Company Stuck?
Is your business growing and giving you the results you want? Or, are you stuck and unable to get moving? Most companies only grow to a level at which the owner can stay in control. They grow to two men and a truck, or to eight employees at one location, or to three managers with 20 employees. The stuck business owner knows he needs to do something different: Let go, hire better people, delegate, install systems, find better customers, improve services, or find more hours in the day. But they don’t know what to do next, so they get frustrated and stay stuck forever.
Get growing again
When you are stuck, you have more demands and pressures than you can handle. So, what should you do to get unstuck and grow your business?
- Re-focus on what you want
Stop and remember your original dream: to own a growing, prosperous company that achieves your goals and is organized, profitable, has lots of great customers, is run by your empowered managers, and gives you freedom and time to enjoy your life.
- Realize you are a business builder
You will never reach your goals if you don’t grow. Are you too busy working to make any money? To grow, you’ve got to let go, delegate, and do what you do best: sell. You must make time to go out and build relationships with loyal customers, plus find new ones.
- Replace yourself with systems
In order to delegate, you need systems and procedures in place that don’t rely on your directing every decision. Put your standards on paper and train your people to follow them.
- Hire the best
Now that you know where you’re going and have systems in place, you can start building a strong management team prepared to take your company to the next level.
- Enjoy the ride
With your company organized and growing, you can now focus on creating more opportunities for your business to prosper and grow.
To get unstuck and grow your business, the choice is yours. What will you do different with your time and priorities?
This is an article based on George Hedley’s new book “Get Your Business to Work!”
- 43October 2012 Business Building Profit Is Overrated By George Hedley Ask 50 construction company owners what a perfect business would be like for them. You’ll likely get 49 different answers. But, one common focus will stand out: Business owners want to create equity and build wealth. Equity and wealth are…
- 42September 2012 Business Building Your Top 2 Business Priorities By George Hedley Several years ago, I made a resolution to take charge of my business life, put my priorities first and focus on building loyal customer relationships. I committed to work smarter, get organized and gain control, focus on the…
- 38June 2008 Business Building Replace Yourself With Systems You can't do it all yourself. By George Hedley During my first seven years starting and building my construction company, I tried to do it all myself. I did all the estimates and presented the bids; signed all the contracts, subcontracts and…